Monday, February 8, 2010

It was hard to think of new ways to deal with aluminum foil...
I decided first to try and make tin foil copies of certain household objects. I used a bowl, and I thought it was interesting how you can use tin foil to steal the shape of another object, to form the foil according to another objects form, and then do what you want to with the rest of the foil. What happened was that I just let the foil flare out from the edges of the bowl shape. I thought this was interesting as a way of extrapolating from the form of a household object.
But this got a little boring. And I decided to just do textural things from then on. I lay the tin foil on a brick wall and made imprints, or rolled the tin foil out with an edge to flatten it. I also tried crumpling the foil and then stretching it back out over and over again until it became much more malleable and less delicate than it is in its original state. The textures that came out are pretty cool, even though they were a sort of last resort.
Arlando gave me more ideas about cutting the foil in new ways. He offered me a razor blade, and that came in handy for my last little experiment where I made a wrist band sort of thing with different horizontal cuts.
I'm excited to see what other people brought in, and if any other people had the same trouble I had with the material .

No comments:

Post a Comment