Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dough Day II

The momentum from the first day carried over nicely into yesterday's dough exercise. It felt like everyone knew what their first move was going to be with the dough and they went from there. It was interesting to see everyone rolling the dough out. I began to think that rolling it out was one of the few ways to get beyond it's rubbery, elastic properties. When it was flatter and spread thin, it was easier to control.
I particularly liked talking at the beginning of class about what pieces interested us most and why (and whether or not we don't like dough...). I began to see how the vocabulary can be as elastic as the dough itself, and I think that's an important concept to grasp - that the vocabulary or language of one piece can be very different than the next piece, though they might use the same materials or techniques.
I'm excited to get to work with tin foil. I'm really interested in pushing the boundaries of the material, and the idea of "let's make tin foil look like else."

No comments:

Post a Comment